It is estimated that there will be 300 million diabetic adults in non-industrialized countries by 2025, including almost a third in India and China; a telling reminder to be more conscious of our lifestyle and diet choices.
Here are a few simple tips to reduce your risk of diabetes or if you already have the disease, to manage it better:
1. Choose low-glycaemic and high-fibre foods
Low glycaemic foods help to stabilize your blood sugar levels and thus lower your risk of diabetes. Also, research has shown that an imbalance in the gut microbiome might contribute to the development of type 2 diabetes. Hence a diet rich in dietary fibre promotes the growth of gut-friendly bacteria, thus helping to further reduce the incidence or severity of diabetes. Hence choose less starchy and high-fibre vegetables and fruits including cabbage, cauliflower, leafy greens, avocados, broccoli, cherries, blueberries, watermelon, and guavas. In terms of wholegrains, opt for grains that don’t spike your blood sugar quickly like black rice, quinoa, red rice, and millet instead of white rice and wheat. Replace your sweetened beverages like milk tea, coffee, and packaged fruit juices with chaas, green tea, tulsi tea, soups, and infusions.
Additionally, supplements like ORGANIC INDIA’s Sugar Balance can help support healthy insulin response and glycaemic control. It also helps to normalize energy levels, manage weight better and reduce mood swings caused by cravings for sugary foods.
2. Restrict your eating window – Practicing intermittent fasting or time-restricted feeding i.e. consuming your food during a specific time period of the day, and choosing not to eat food for the remaining day is a powerful tool in not only lowering your insulin levels but also helping to restore the body’s sensitivity to insulin.
3. Get more active - Healthy eating combined with regular physical activity is the best way to manage your diabetes and reduce your risk of health complications. Exercise enhances the consumption of glucose by your muscles and helps the body use insulin more efficiently. Therefore, aim for at least a 10-20 minutes workout throughout the week.
In case you find the idea of starting a regular physical activity too tiring, start small and gradually build up your strength. Additionally, supplements like ORGANIC INDIA’s Vitality can help relieve stress and restore your natural energy and exuberance.
It contains powerful anti-stress, anti-aging, and antioxidant-rich herbs that reduce inflammation and enhance endurance levels, thereby enhancing your body’s ability to fight the chronic fatigue caused by diabetes.
4. Increase your portion of bitter and astringent foods - Bitter and astringent foods like bitter gourd, jamuns, and leafy greens like fenugreek and the all-powerful Neem can be important herbal choices for naturally and safely regulating blood sugar levels. In fact, Neem is so effective at reducing blood sugar levels that diabetes patients are advised to consult their doctor in case they are already taking medicines to control sugar.
In case you find neem too bitter to consume, opt for ORGANIC INDIA’s Neem supplement. It will help you avoid the bitter taste, but also act as a potent immunity booster, protecting you against illness and disease.
5. Boost your liver and kidney health
One of the leading causes of kidney disease is Diabetes. The primary responsibility of kidneys is to filter waste and extra water out of one's blood to make urine. Your kidneys also assist you in controlling blood pressure and producing hormones your body needs to stay healthy. While a healthy liver keeps blood glucose within the 'normal range' and protects against excessive fluctuations.
ORGANIC INDIA’s Liver-Kidney Care supplement not only boosts liver and kidney function while protecting them against damage caused by diabetes but also helps in effective fat and carbohydrate metabolism, thereby further reducing the severity of diabetes or preventing risk altogether.
Remember that diabetes care is a lifelong responsibility; so practice healthy and mindful lifestyle changes. And keep watching our blog page for healthy tips and suggestions to live your best life!