As the mercury dips, it’s not just more sweaters you need to pile on. According to Ayurveda, exposure to cold temperatures can slow down your metabolism and increase congestion in the system making you more vulnerable to infections, joint stiffness, and seasonal allergies.
So, this December, we decided to explore a vital herb that can provide you all-around protection in winter – GINGER.
Used both as a medicine and spice, this humble herb has a plethora of healing properties and also enhances the healing properties of other herbs. No wonder it is called the “universal medicine.” in Ayurveda.
Some of its benefits include:
- Helps relieve cold and cough – The drop in temperature and humidity coupled with the increasing pollution increases the incidence of respiratory infections and allergies in winter. The pungent, warming nature of ginger helps relieve congestion in the lungs and soothes bronchial spasms, thereby reducing the severity of colds and coughs.
- Stimulates digestion - Not only does ginger stoke the sluggish digestive fire (agni), but it also restores appetite, quickens the emptying of the stomach, and improves the assimilation of nutrients.
- Strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant action – Joint stiffness and pain can increase due to cold exposure. Ginger contains a beneficial compound called gingerol, which suppresses inflammation in the body helping to reduce pain, heal the joints and restore optimal function. In fact, it is a great aid for all inflammatory conditions including body aches, sore throats, and infections.
- Helps in detoxification – Its expectorant properties help to unclog the microcirculatory channels of the body to help the body flush away mucus and toxins from the body.
- Relieves gas and bloating – And while no one can resist hot gulab jamuns and samosas, a diet rich in heavy spicy foods coupled with lowered physical activity due to winter can make you more prone to indigestion. Ginger’s strong carminative properties make it an excellent aid for releasing excess gas and bloating and relieving indigestion.
- Helpful in respiratory and cardiovascular conditions – Cold weather strips you of your body heat and causes your blood to thicken, making your heart work harder to circulate blood and keep you warm. As a vasodilator, Ginger helps to clear blockages, boosts circulation, improves lipid profile, and reduces blood pressure, helping to lower the overall strain on the heart.
- Promotes Weight Loss - Gorging on Pinnis and Gujiyas adding inches to your waist? Ginger enhances your body’s ability to burn fat and helps regulate blood sugar levels making it an effective partner for your weight management efforts.
- Prevents nausea and motion sickness – By stimulating digestion and helping reduce blood pressure levels, ginger helps to calm your system and reduces nausea.
Our 5 most loved Ginger-Binger range of teas
Combing the wonderful benefits of Ginger with the Queen of Herbs, Tulsi, and other herbs like Mulethi and Cinnamon, ORGANIC INDIA takes you through 5 delicious and invigorating teas and infusions to keep you warm and healthy all winter long.
- Tulsi Ginger - Soothing to the stomach, this tea is great for a refreshing pick-me-up as well as a post-dinner digestive. You can also carry a pack on your weekend road trip and sip it whenever motion sickness or nausea strikes. Ideal for times of cold and flu, Tulsi Ginger is also great as a delicious daily treat.
- Tulsi Ginger Turmeric - A reward for your senses, this healing flavourful tea with the blend of Ginger, Tulsi, Cinnamon, and Turmeric is the perfect daily health beverage, not only helping to keep respiratory infections away, but the strong healing support of Turmeric also boosts liver health and promotes healing of bones and joints. Caffeine free, this delicious blend is perfect any time of the day.
- Tulsi green tea lemon ginger – A perfect pack to keep at your workplace, the exciting blend of Ginger with "The Queen of Herbs" Tulsi, our exquisite Green Tea, zesty and tasty Ginger, accented with Lemon Flavour creates a totally delicious and satisfying tea experience. With an abundance of phytonutrients and antioxidants, this tea is great to relieve stress, boost your energy and keep you warm and hydrated on cold days.
- Tulsi Detox Kahwa – A powerful detox in a tea bag with the goodness of Ginger, Green Tea, bounteous spices like black pepper, clove, and cinnamon, and rock salt, this age-old traditional wellness recipe helps support digestion, aids detoxification, and protects you from pesky winter infections.
- Tulsi Mulethi – Mulethi’s anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties make this a great winter herb. Also, its ability to relieve congestion not only helps to soothe a raging cough but also helps maintain the mucosal health of the gut, relieving acidity and healing ulcers. Coupled with the powerful Tulsi and a touch of Peppermint make your teatime a pure sensory indulgence.
Winters are a great time to gorge on seasonal foods, enjoy the explosion of social events, lit fests, and soirees, and dress up in your most lush winter coats. Small additions like adding hydrating healing teas to your daily routine along with pure, organic foods can help you keep happy and healthy, and energised all winter.